lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] throughput statistics tracking

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] throughput statistics tracking
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:05:07 +1200

"Tyrel Newton" <address@hidden> wrote:
Has there ever been interest in integrating throughput statistics tracking into lwIP at the netif level (or is there something available to do this)? I know close to zero about SNMP so I apologize if this is something that is provided by the SNMP layer.

It is. SNMP can count bytes and packets transmitted and received on each network interface.

What I'm interested in is tracking (for example) the throughput for the
past 60 seconds, mainly for debugging of performance purposes. I have
written something to do this at the emac driver layer, but it seems like
something that could easily be integrated at the netif layer and might be
something that people using different platforms are interested in as well.
The way I implemented it was basically counting total packet bytes
transmitted and received for 60 one second intervals. The storage for
these byte counts and the overhead of adding to the count is pretty minimal.

You could do exactly the same thing with SNMP by sampling the counters every second and calculating the differences.

SNMP can access many other things, and has the advantage of a being a standard protocol which can be accessed across the network (which would of course interfere with bytes and packet counts for that network interface).

It does add quite a bit of overhead, so there may be benefit to having an optional simple byte/packet count which can only be accessed locally.