lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Is there and 'ping' function?

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Is there and 'ping' function?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:23:55 +0100

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 13:47 +0800, Steven Woody wrote:
> But I still can see, by check out the
> web links, in simhost.c, the usage of 'ping' is implemented as an
> application layer sample.  So, the high level 'ping' service is anyhow
> not in the lwIP.   Am I right in this?

lwIP is the network protocol stack, ping is an application that uses the
stack.  lwIP supports ICMP (which the ping application uses) but it
doesn't include the ping application internally, in the same way that it
doesn't include a web server.

There are some example applications in the contrib module, in particular
for you: contrib/apps/ping/  This is likely to be a lot more useful than
the unix-specific demonstration app simhost

For the ICMP implementation see lwip/src/core/ipv4/icmp.c  This is
mostly geared towards sending replies to received ICMP frames.

Kieran