lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Using RTOS dynamic memory allocator

From: Martin Velek
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Using RTOS dynamic memory allocator
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:15:32 +0300

Hello,

I don't think that's a good idea. If you look closer to a memory
allocator documentation http://www.freertos.org/a00111.html, there is
stated:

>Should not be used if the memory being allocated and freed is of a random size
>- this would only >be the case if tasks being deleted each had a different
>stack depth, or queues being deleted >were of different lengths.

The pbufs are exactly this case. I suppose the length of eth. packet
from 46B to 1500B.

Anyway, we did a test to verify emac driver, sending udp packets with
length from 100B to 1400B and there was always out_of_ram error even
with reserved 32KB of SRAM for FreeRTOS allocator(heap_2.c). (The data
and pbufs were properly deallocated after receive).

See also
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freertos/forums/forum/382005/topic/3372370

For this reason we decided to use another dyn. allocator (bget) and
select heap_3.c.

Regards,
Martin