lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Communication between different subnets

From: Bandu
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Communication between different subnets
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:27:37 +0100

You computer Default Gateway address is wrong.
>>My computer: /IP/ 172.20.123.144  /subnet mask/ 255.255.254.0 /default
gateway/ 172.20.122.1
should be 172.20.123.x
right?
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM, hellish <address@hidden> wrote:

   Hi!
   Recently I ported lwip 1.3.2 to my board running FreeRTOS and is now
doing some experiment within my school LAN.
   Both my board and my PC are connected to school LAN via an 8-port switch
in my room. Their network interfaces are configured by DHCP. My board is
able to communicate with my PC(and any other PCs on the same subnet). But my
board can't connect to devices that reside on another subnet(for example,
the school FTP server) , while my PC can download files from that FTP just
fine.
   I checked lwip's source code and it says:
 * For unicast addresses, the packet is submitted to etharp_query(). In
 * case the IP address is outside the local network, the IP address of
 * the gateway is used.
  So lwip modified destination IP address of the packets(sent from my
board) to that of the gateway?  This confused me. Why change the destination
IP address? According to my network textbook, it is the destination MAC
address that should be changed to that of the gateway.

  Could someone provide guidance as to how to communicate with devices on
another subnet using lwip? Thanks in advance.

Attached below is a snapshot of the network status:
My computer: /IP/ 172.20.123.144  /subnet mask/ 255.255.254.0 /default
gateway/ 172.20.122.1
My board running lwip: /IP/ 172.20.122.224 /subnet mask/ 255.255.254.0
/default gateway/ 172.20.122.1
school FTP server: IP 172.20.106.31