lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Improving LWIP performance

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Improving LWIP performance
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:13:24 +0100

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 14:36 -0400, Karthik Vadambacheri Manian wrote:
> 1) Can I avoid checksum generation & checkings as everything is
> running in VMs? whats your opinion?

It rather depends on the data and the consequence of corruption.  If
you're willing to put up with undetected errors then going without a
checksum would be OK.  Personally I wouldn't though - just because
everything is in software doesn't mean there won't be bugs that cause
corruption.

> 2) Can I compare the timings obtained for a pingpong using LWIP
> sockets with normal linux sockets or should I compare against
> nonblocking linux sockets. I am asking this because LWIP has tcpip
> thread which polls for data so should I be using nonblocking linux
> sockets and poll them to be sure I am doing a fair comparison. Please
> let me know.

lwIP can support (for most common operations) both blocking and
non-blocking sockets, so use the same on both.  The TCP/IP thread isn't
really relevant.

Kieran