lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Function send

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Function send
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 17:50:13 +0200

Oscar F:
Hello everybody!!

I´m using EVK1100 with FreeRTOS and lwip, and i would like to know this question.

When i called the send function, is the packet sent to the ethernet line or this is queued and the return say me only that situation?
That depends on the API you are using (I'm assuming socket API here), on the protocol and your ethernet driver: for UDP, the packet is passed to your netif's linkoutput function before send() returns (unless the stack has to do an ARP request first). However, if you have a DMA-enabled MAC, this might mean the packet is queued for sending in the driver. For TCP, send() returning means the data is queued in stack-internal buffers only.

Simon