lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Unifficial relesae?

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Unifficial relesae?
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:16:48 +0100

Alain Mouette wrote:
> Stéphane Lesage escreveu:
>  >
>  > The current version is very stable, it would have been nice to have a
>  > 1.3.3 release...
>
> Any volunteers to get things toghether and make a 1.3.3 relese? even if
> it is unofficial?
>
> There seems to have been too many important fixes...

It isn't about "getting things together" and just creating a ZIP file that you
would call "release" (anyway, if it's unofficial, it isn't a release!).

It is about stopping to make changes, spreading test versions (release
candidates) to get many users to actually test them, getting the new code
stable and then having once again a stable release.

Creating bugs lies (unfortunately) in the nature of writing software. And since
I'm currently doing a *lot* of changes, there might be a lot of bugs in the
current CVS code, too. Just take a look at the bug tracker for the last weeks!

Some of my changes are beautifications or improvements and some are actual bugs
fixes. And I certainly would favour having more time to get it done quicker,
but I'd favour getting the work done now and then having a stable base for the
next release. And it will be 1.4.0, not 1.3.3: there have been too many
incompatible changes since 1.3.2 to call it a bug-fix from that version.

If you want to help speeding the 1.4.0 release up, check out CVS, use it in
your daily work (not for your production releases!) and report back any bugs
you find - we depend on users reporting bugs to make lwIP stable!

Simon