lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Raw API / Threading

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Raw API / Threading
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:30:19 +0200

> I'm a bit confused in regards to using the raw API in a multi-threaded
> enviromnent.  The current documentation indicates that you can not call the
> raw API functions from a context outside of the main lwIP process.  Is this
> true?

Yes, this is correct and has been since for all the lwIP history (at least
what's in CVS)!

> I have old code that appears to refute that.
>
> I have a project using FreeRTOS and what appears to be lwIP v1.1.  In it
> there are separate tasks that call udp_send() while the bulk of lwIP runs in
> it's own task.  This code runs without problem.

You're lucky there! lwIP includes lists that are sometimes re-sorted which can
end up in system crash when used simultaneously from different threads! I
strongly suggest you'd fix your code, no matter if you upgrade to 1.3.1 or stay
with 1.1.0.

To do that, you can just use tcpip_callback() to get your code running in the
tcpip_thread context, where you can safely call udp_send().

Simon