lwip-users

Fwd: [lwip-users] lwip_select

From: Oscar F
Subject: Fwd: [lwip-users] lwip_select
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:22:59 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Oscar F <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip_select

Thank you simon, but in my documentation of the API i haven't seen this function "select()" in BSD socket. i'm not sure what if the purpose to call this, because in general i understand the rest of function of the example. i have seen in wikipedia the TFTP protocol and it's easy, but in the future i've to implement my own protocol with TCP to send this, in fact i'll use the BSD socket API to connect wih remote terminal and i interchange data of my own protocol.

I only know this function:

2.2.1 BDS librería de socket

This section provides a simple implementation of the BSD socket API using the lwIP API. Also, this implementation does not support the select() and poll() functions of the BSD socket API since the lwIP API does not have any functions that can be used to implement those. In order to implement those functions, the BSD socket implementation would have to communicate directly with the lwIP stack and not use the API.

In the BSD socket API sockets are represented as ordinary file descriptors. File descriptors are integers that uniquely identifies the file or network connection. In this implementation of the BSD socket API, sockets are internally represented by a netconn structure. Since BSD sockets are identifed by an integer, the netconn variables are kept in an array, sockets[], where the BSD socket identi¯er is the index into the array.

The BSD socket API calls for setting up a connection are very similar to the connection setup functions of the minimal API. The implementation of these calls mainly include translation from the integer representation of a socket to the connection abstraction used in the minimal API.

Funciones

a) int socket(int domain, int type, int protocol)

The socket() call allocates a BSD socket. The parameters to socket() are used to specify what type of socket that is requested. Since this socket API implementation is concerned only with network sockets, these are the only socket type that is supported. Also, only UDP (SOCK DGRAM) or TCP (SOCK STREAM) sockets can be used.

b) int bind(int s, struct sockaddr *name, int namelen)

The bind() call binds the BSD socket to a local address. In the call to bind() the local IP address and port number are specified. The bind() function is very similar to the netconn bind() function in the lwIP API.

c) int connect(int s, struct sockaddr *name, int namelen)

The implementation of connect() is as straightforward as that of bind().

d) int listen(int s, int backlog)

The listen() call is the equivalent of the lwIP API function netconn listen() and can only be used for TCP connections. The only di®erence is that the BSD socket API allows the application to specify the size of the queue of pending connections (the backlog). This is not possible with lwIP and the backlog parameter is ignored.

e) int accept(int s, struct sockaddr *addr, int *addrlen)

The accept() call is used to wait for incoming connections on a TCP socket that previously has been set into LISTEN state by a call to listen(). The call to accept() blocks until a connection has been established with a remote host. The arguments to listen are result parameters that are set by the call to accept(). These are filled with the address of the remote host.

When the new connection has been established, the lwIP function netconn accept() will

return the connection handle for the new connection. After the IP address and port number of the remote host has been filled in, a new socket identifier is allocated and returned.

f) int send(int s, void *data, int size, unsigned int flags)

In the BSD socket API, the send() call is used in both UDP and TCP connection for sending data. Before a call to send() the receiver of the data must have been set up using connect(). For UDP sessions, the send() call resembles the netconn send() function from the lwIP API, but since the lwIP API require the application to explicitly allocate buffrs, a buffer must be allocated and deallocated within the send() call. Therefore, a buffer is allocated and the data is copied into the allocated buffer.

The netconn send() function of the lwIP API cannot be used with TCP connections, so this implementation of the send() uses netconn write() for TCP connections. In the BSD socket API, the application is allowed to modify the sent data directly after the call to send() and therefore the NETCONN COPY °ag is passed to netconn write() so that the data is copied into internal buffers in the stack.

g) int sendto(int s, void *data, int size, unsigned int flags,struct sockaddr *to, int tolen)

The sendto() and sendmsg() calls are similar to the send() call, but they allow the application program to specify the receiver of the data in the parameters to the call. Also, sendto() and sendmsg() only can be used for UDP connections. The implementation uses netconn connect() to set the receiver of the datagram and must therefore reset the remote IP address and port number if the socket was previously connected. An implementation of sendmsg() is not included.

h) int write(int s, void *data, int size)

In the BSD socket API, the write() call sends data on a connection and can be used for both

UDP and TCP connections. For TCP connections, this maps directly to the lwIP API function

netconn write(). For UDP, the BSD socket function write() function is equvalent to the send() function.

i) int recv(int s, void *mem, int len, unsigned int flags)

In the BSD socket API, the recv() and read() calls are used on a connected socket to receive data. They can be used for both TCP and UDP connections. A number of args can be passed by the call to recv(). None of these are implemented here, and the flags parameter is ignored. If the received message is larger than the supplied memory area, the excess data is silently discarded.

j) int recvfrom(int s, void *mem, int len, unsigned int flags, struct sockaddr *from, int *fromlen)

The recvfrom() and recvmsg() calls are similar to the recv() call but differ in that the IP

address and port number of the sender of the data can be obtained through the call.

An implementation of recvmsg() is not included.

thank you again

Regards

Oscar