lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP versus Interniche

From: Mike Williamson
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP versus Interniche
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:45:57 -0500

Speaking of IPV6, is there anyone working on that for lwIP?  I see a set of code for it, but I last heard that it was alpha level code only.

-Mike

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:29 PM, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
I guess you won't get too many really neutral answers on this list, but I'll reply anyway... Only my opinions of course!

Altera first used lwIP since they needed an inexpensive (or free) TCPIP stack for their users (many TCPIP stacks are quite expensive...). They don't seem to have worked too much on this as they did not even fix the multithreading bug in ARP present in lwIP 1.2.0 (which they used for NIOS II 5.x, I think - the last version they suggested lwIP).

Of course they realized it's cheaper for them to get a partner shipping a TCPIP stack is cheaper than having their own developers working on lwIP - and the Interniche license isn't too expensive for their users (I think 250 EUR per developer license).

The pros for Interniche are the better integration into the NIOS suite and the support for IPv6 (although this seems to cost extra) as well as some extra modules (that although cost extra) and the possiblity of getting a support contract from Interniche.

The pros for lwIP are it is free (and free to be modified) and there might be more additional software available for free (e.g. SNMP server included, many in the contrib module).

Of course I have to admit lwIP isn't bug-free, but I'll bet my a** that the Interniche stack isn't, either...

Simon

PS: We decided for lwIP, which is what me got here :-) But then again, we don't use the OS environment provided by Altera...

bill wrote:

Interestingly - because Interniche has come up on this list before - my new project utilizes the NIOS II which recommends the Interniche TCP/IP stack while essentially denouncing lwIP. Does anyone have Interniche experience and lwIP experience to be able share any pros and cons or comparisons between Interniche and lwIP? I'm leaning towards lwIP because of the lesser learning curve. I don't have much else to go on at this point so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill