lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] sys_timeout firing too often.

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] sys_timeout firing too often.
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:06:22 +0200

> The first call to sys_create_thread, will call sys_init if you didn't call
> it before!
> I works in this way:
> - create a first lwip task using sys_create_thread (so, sys_arch_timeout
> will be initialized)
> - this task will initialize the stack (so, will start tcpip_thread) and
> will
> start other lwip threads

This shouldn't normally be necessary: You have to make sure sys_timeout is not
being used during lwIP initialization. Since timeouts are thread-specific,
there is not use for sys_timeout during initialization: timeouts are used
either for sem- or mbox-timed-wait or for stack-internal timeout handling. The
first should not be used in the initialization phase (use sys_arch_sem_wait or
sys_arch_mbox_wait instead), the latter is only used in tcpip_thread (not
tcpip_init)! Versions prior to 1.3.0 may have a problem here, but we cannot
actively support them - if this is the case, please upgrade to 1.3.0!

Again, PPP may violate the above rules, but unfortunately, PPP is currently not
very actively maintained :-( Developers caring for PPP are welcome - converting
it to be used with NO_SYS=1 would also be nice.

Simon