lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Reassembling messages

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Reassembling messages
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:03:18 +0100

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 10:56 +0100, Keith Lockstone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've got LWIP up and running on a H8S/2378 using the SMCS LAN9215i.
> However, a system problem has come up that we haven't found a simple
> answer to.
>
> The datagrams we send have different formats and lengths and to work out
> where the starts and ends of the datagrams are is not a trivial task.
> What are the typical approaches to formatting a TCP/IP message so that
> reassembly is a trivial task?

We'll need some more detail I'm afraid.  At what level are you talking
about reassembly?  e.g. is this in your application, in the TCP/IP
stack, or in your driver?

I'm guessing you're talking about the application.  Apologies if I'm
wrong.  Assuming that's the case the normal way to do this is to modify
your format so that the first word is the length of the message.  Then
you can read that and know how much to expect.

Kieran