lwip-users

Re: Ang. Re: [lwip-users] Assertion after upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.2.0

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: Ang. Re: [lwip-users] Assertion after upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.2.0
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 08:56:45 +0100

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 09:40 +0200, address@hidden
wrote:

> "More than one thread accessing LwIP", does this mean that I can have
> multiple threads using the Socket-API?

If using the socket API (or indeed the netconn API) there is a message-
box system that passes operations from that API to the lwIP core, and a
single thread then operates in the core to execute these operations.
However, that still leaves any state in the socket API unprotected, but
I don't think this is the cause of your problem.  i.e. Multiple threads
using the sockets API should be OK, particularly if they are all using
different sockets.

> Or is this only a issue if multiple threads use the low-level API's
> (tcp_write() etc).

This is typically where the problems arise.  Timers executing at the
same time as application threads for example.

> Or is it a combination, i.e. one thread using tcp_write() etc and one
> thread using the Socket-API.

That would almost certainly be bad.

Kieran