lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] Optimizations for applications requiring limited functi

From: Roger Cover
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] Optimizations for applications requiring limited functionality.
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:26:29 -0700

Greetings Simon,

I have not looked very far into what lwIP is doing internally. I know
that the function ip_output_if() is where my CPU is spending over 80% of
its time during my UDP transfers. I am using a Gigabit MAC/PHY, so
lwIP's transmission speed is no where near what the hardware can
sustain. There should not be any waiting for the hardware.

In fact, the Xilinx driver I have, from the reference design I started
with, does not even check to see if the MAC's FIFO is full. It just
blindly sends data to the MAC presuming the FIFO will be emptied faster
than it can be filled. This presumption is justified if the PHY has
negotiated a Gigabit connection. In my test setup, it has.

Is there something in particular you would like me to look into?

Regards,
Roger