lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP or uIP ?

From: Timmy Brolin
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP or uIP ?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:08:27 +0200

Not sure, but I think lwip should work fine on 16kByte RAM, assuming of course that the code is located in and executed from a flash memory.

/Timmy Brolin

Michael Ambrus wrote:
Thank you all for replying.

Regarding the amount of RAM it varies. The system I'm considering has targets of very different sizes. On some nodes there's "megabytes" available, on others there's as little as 16K (or even less). I don't mind altering between uIP and lwIP depending on which target, as long as the code doesn't differ too much. I'm prepared to cope with the limitations in cases lwIP can't be used because of it's larger footprint, but would naturally prefer a better implementation where I can.

If I understand you correctly Dmitry, there's a significant trade-off between performance and RAM usage. Are the API's between uIP and lwIP similar at least?

/Michael

On 4/2/07, Dmitry Potapov <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Michael,

>  I'm new both to this list and lwIP/uIP. Both lwIP and uIP seem to be
> adressing embedded TCP/IP and I'm confured about which one would be best to
> use.

It depends on your goals. uIP can be used even on 8-bit microcontrollers,
but it has a lot of limitations, and all work with the stack is done through
callback mechanism with a single buffer, which is used for both input and
output. So, if you transfer very little data, and all work with them is simple
enough to be implemented by a single transaction state machine then you
can use uIP. Thus, the primary use of uIP is configuration of a device that
does not need TCP/IP for its normal work. On the other hand, if your device
uses TCP/IP in the course of its normal operation, or if you want socket
interface, or if you transfer considerable amount data over the Internet then
I suggest you use lwIP.

Dmitry