lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] using differnet protocols parallel

From: Çağlar AKYÜZ
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] using differnet protocols parallel
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:52:46 +0200

Kieran Mansley wrote:
On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 00:11 +0100, Marcel M. wrote:
Hi all,

my name is Marcel any i’m from Germany. I would like to use lwIP with the
multithreading RTOS freertos (www.freertos.org). On my µC System i have to
implement at least two tcp socket connections, SNMP and Telnet(that means at
least four ports). Can i use lwIP to use this protocols "parallel"? I read,
that lwIP isn’t threadsafe, so is there any solution? Anyone implement some
different protocols which runing "parallel" with lwIP?
Thanks a lot!

Yes, it should be fine.  You just have to protect lwIP from having
multiple threads active in the stack at the same time using (for
example) a mutex.  I'm not sure to what extent lwIP has been integrated
into freertos - this may have been done for you already at the sockets
layer, assuming that is the API you wish to use.

Is there someone else here using freertos with lwIP who can provide more
concrete information on its capabilities?

Kieran

LWiP is pretty well ported to FreeRTOS. I'm using LWiP+FreeRTOS combination very happly on a SAM7X.(altough you haven't mentioned your arch, I think it should be okay for any arch which is supported by FreeRTOS)

As long as I can see from the code, in FreeRTOS there is only one task using the stack all the time. All other tasks communicate with this LWiP task. In conclusion,
LWiP+FreeRTOS is capable of doing what you need.

Regards
Caglar AKYUZ