lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Porting to Renesas M16 + MicroChip ENC28J60

From: Christiaan Simons
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Porting to Renesas M16 + MicroChip ENC28J60
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:15:48 +0200

address@hidden wrote on 16-06-2006
17:53:49:

> I am evaluating using LWIP with M16+ENC28J60 without RTOS.
> I have already interfaced ENC28J60 with uIP (in this case I was using
> MSP430) but the performance is below what I would like (web server lines
> appear one by one with noticeable delay), so I would prefer trying LWIP
with
> M16. I can use some more memory (both FLASH and RAM) so I would like to
see
> if LWIP has better performance.

We've found even a 16 bit CPU @ 18MHz (the c16x)
barely does the job. We really need to do some
thourough optimalisation to get a decent performance.

Also the Ethernet hardware to CPU interface needs
to be at least 16 bit wide, and preferably using DMA.
(we're stuck with PIO, thus this eats a lot of cycles)

You possibly need a high clock frequency with the M16
(they go upto 32Mhz?) or look at a 32 bit controller
such as coldfire, ARM7 etc.

> I have found some ports in contrib-0.7.1-20040319.tar.gz; are there other
> ports available?

This old tarball is only made available for historical reasons,
try using CVS access for the later releases (1.1.1) or the latest version.

Christiaan Simons

Hardware Designer
Axon Digital Design

http://www.axon.tv