lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Minimum sytem requirements

From: Timmy Brolin
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Minimum sytem requirements
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 00:31:53 +0200

In short, if your system has at least 10kB of RAM and you want some degree of TCP/IP performance, then lwip os probably right for you. If you have less than 8-10kByte RAM, then I would suggest the TCP/IP stack "µIP" which can actually work with less than 1kByte of RAM if I remember correctly. The disadvantage is that µIP performance is very low.

ATmega32 only has 2kBytes of RAM and 32kBytes of FLASH, so I think µIP is your best bet. ATmega32 has no external bus interface, so connecting a Ethernet MAC to the mega32 will be a bit complicated. But perhaps you intend to use a serial PPP interface instead?

Regards,
Timmy Brolin

Leon Woestenberg wrote:

Hello Maikel,

Maikel Punie wrote:

ok,

I started developping a for my final project at uni, and lwip seems perfect for it, but i have some questions :)

1- What are the minimum requirements for an microprosessor to be able to run lwip? (like an atmel mega32, wich would be perfect)

From the Savannah main page (which is not *very* exact but gives a good idea):

"The focus of the lwIP TCP/IP implementation is to reduce resource usage
while still having a full scale TCP. This making lwIP suitable for use
in embedded systems with tens of kilobytes"

2- Are there some example programs off projects that use lwip? Like the basic stuff, how do initialize it? how to i define ip adress, ....

The lwip-contrib tree in CVS has simple examples, especially the Unix project has some.

Google a bit for application built on lwIP.

Regards,

Leon.