lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] sys_timeout

From: Derek Guerdon
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] sys_timeout
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:02:25 -0500

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:30:01 -0800, Curt McDowell wrote:
>> If lwIP is intialized and the main+tcp+interface threads are
>> active (this can be set up outside the application), the
>> application just has to link itself into lwIP's thread list
>> once. Afterwards it is free to call the lwIP networking
>> API(s) or not, but it's not required to use the sys_arch primitives.
>
>The latter is not a true statement.  Say your O/S has its own semaphore wait,
>which nearly all do.  Your application can never call
>it instead of the sys_arch version, or sys_timeouts will cease.  This forces
>your whole application to be rewritten based on
>sys_arch.  That is unreasonable, and in my (large) application, not possible.
>If sys_arch is properly separated out, this would no
>longer be a problem.

Your application need not use the sys_arch calls outside of lwIP. The
timeouts for the TCP/IP thread function correctly if it is the only
one that uses the sys_arch calls. Using the sys_arch interface to pend
in the Ethernet input thread can generate the timeouts for ARP. But
your application should have no problem using standard O/S calls
elsewhere. The lwIP timeouts should trigger in the context of lwIP
threads.
--
Derek Guerdon