lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] critical section protection + timer issues questions

From: Jim Gibbons
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] critical section protection + timer issues questions
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:41:52 -0800

In my implementations, the ethernet driver checks the ethertype, then calls an appropriate function to handle the input.  I actually do the calls via the netif input member, which I have initialized to point to tcpip_input in my call to netif_add.  So, I'm passing the input packets to tcpip_input which can be found in api/tcpip.c.  This function sends a message to the tcp task's mbox using sys_mbox_post.

I believe that this is reasonably safe.  The PCBs are isolated within the tcp task, and all's right with the world.  (See also my note about using the netconn or socket api, however.)

I do have some concerns about the ARP table protections.  I think that porters/users like you and I have to do some work to make defend the integrity of the ARP tables, despite the fact that the sample ports do not seem to implement protections.

Scott Taggart wrote:

One additional question regarding critical code sections and LWIP.  I don’t understand how LWIP is protecting itself from incoming frames.  Presumably, incoming frames (say on an EN interface) arrive in at interrupt time/context and end up calling ip_input and then tcp_input.  tcp_input (as just one example) manipulates the pcb lists w/o protection.  Suppose a another thread happens to also be manipulating a pcb list when an inbound EN frame arrives?  Is LWIP assuming that all inbound frames will be processed by a polling model?  Even then, the thread that polls is not guaranteed to run to completion before another thread runs (e.g., the polling input thread could be interrupted by another thread for vice-versa).

Can someone explain the inbound packet path protection mechanism to me?

Thanks,

Scott