lwip-users

[lwip-users] Explanation and purpose of timeouts

From: Chris Jones
Subject: [lwip-users] Explanation and purpose of timeouts
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:20:55 -0500

I have been searching the archives for a good description of the
sys_timeouts
structures, but didn't find anything that helped me understand their
purpose.

I have written a system architecture file that implements semaphores and
mailboxes
on the WIN32 API so that I can run lwIP in a multithreaded configuration.

My goal is to port lwIP to a TI C55x DSP. I am using the WinXP build to work
out
any issues with changing the definition of u8_t as 16 bits as it will be on
the
DSP. I read several archived posts about issues with DSP porting and I think
I have a
good handle on it.

I am also using the windows machine to integrate lwIP with the GoAhead
webserver.

I have started to debug the multithreaded lwIP on WIN32 and have run into
problems with the sys_timeouts structures. It is unclear to me what is being
timed out. Also I don't see how these timeout values get set in the first
place.

I understand that I am going to have to create per thread timeout structures
simlar
to the RTXC and unix ports, but I could use a better explanation of what
they
are used for.

Thanks,

Chris Jones