lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] porting lwip to propreitary os

From: Giovambattista Pulcini
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] porting lwip to propreitary os
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:15:01 +0200

I have done the same for a Motorola MPC860T with no OS at all. I just built
it on the top of the OS abstraction layer provided in the LwIP. Basically I
had just to implement timers. Other minor changes were needed because of the
lack of multi-threading in my event-driven environment, so I had the need of
making all the calls non-blocking.

Anyway, the OS abstraction layer provided with LwIP allows you to port it
with ease on any "reasonable" hardware/OS.

As of 0.5.3 version there were some issue when an ACK in a TCP connection
eventually gets lost, if I remember well.
On a 40MHz 860 with a zero-copying Ethernet driver I was able to sustain a
few less than 6 MB/s on a 100 Mbps link.

In real-time environments usually there are some requirements about the
determinism of the transmission times; on an Ethernet chunk this determinism
is meaningfull only in a probabilistic context. Moreover there is no upper
limit for the time the packet will wait in the send queue of the Ethernet
controller.

Regards,
GP