lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?

From: Rod Boyce
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:51:53 -0000

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:07:37 -0400 (EDT)
"barryc" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Since I don't know of any embedded microcontrollers (eg: HC12, 8051, etc)
> that
> you'd be willing to take the overhead hit of dynamically loading the library,
> you wouldn't be able to use an LGPL LWIP on anything less robust than a
> PalmPilot if you want to keep your application's source closed and prevent
> reverse engineering.

I have done exactly this on both the HC11 and the 8051 not for this reason but
for a good comerical reasom at teh time.
I have also convinced my employer that it is not a good idea in other
circumstances.
You have to be careful what you say about us crazy embedded developers.
Quite often if you can do it on a PC.  We can think up a simple way to do it on
an
embedded paltform.
It would be very easy for me to load LwIP dynamicly if I had to but if the
License
permits why should it go to that bother.

Regards,
Rod Boyce

PS No I cannot give away the dynamic loading code I wrote it a while back for
my employer it is proprietary but easy to do if you reduce the complexity.