lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?

From: Jani Monoses
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 02:05:12 -0000

> The GPL license forces changes to be submitted,

It does not, it only requires you to make changes available
So one could very well not send anything back to the list
but only make changes avaliable upon request,not the fastest
way to contribute.
And as Leon said if someone wants to steal this they can.
Try stealing wine and everybody will notice but lwIP?No
user visible interface, small code....Is anybody going to
reverse engineer obscure software on some uController
just to see if it's lwIP based?How do they tell?

> So the logical choice is the LGPL because it
> promotes developer contribution, while allowing
> companies to create proprietary applications
> around it.

I  don't have anything against LGPL from my POV it's
about the same as BSD.

> At the moment, I believe that the reason LwIP
> is not progressing is purely because such motivation
> is not there. LwIP needs to switch to the LGPL

The #1 reason is lack of organization right now.And #2 as well.