lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Driver for the CS8900a chip, for uIP stack

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Driver for the CS8900a chip, for uIP stack
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:17:25 -0000

Hello all,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcelo Barros de Almeida" <address@hidden>
> Hi Jorge,
>
> > I need a driver for the CS8900A chip for my project, I will be very
grateful

> Please, try:
> http://www.cirrus.com/drivers/ethernet/ethernet.cfm
>
> I think you will have enough drivers for CS8900A there :-)

These open-source drivers have a bug (CS will call it an "assumption") that
make the MAC/PHY hang on slow (read: microcontroller) systems. In
general, read the source code comments, because the bug is documented
saying: "we assume the CPU is fast enough to..."

I have had contact with Cirrus/CS about this and they refer to the
documentation
for a correct approach, NOT these drivers.

We have been able to reproduce the CS drivers make the MAC/PHY hang under
heavy load conditions (such as initial highly loaded flood pings from a
localnet host).

If you want a robust driver, I suggest at least seeing the robust approach
taken by me (and properly documented in CS's datasheet and application
notes, BTW). Has not crashed in the last two years of field use.

Regards,

Leon.