lwip-users

[lwip-users] RE: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?

From: Paul Sheer
Subject: [lwip-users] RE: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 00:19:25 -0000

> If what you're saying does happen, what will happen
> to the companies which are already using this code
> and are selling/distributing the binaries ?

nothing

> Can they continue to use older versions of lwIP
> which they're using which has the old license ?

changing the license in one source tree does not
magically change the license in another source tree :-)
it was THAT code with was license THAT way, and this
is NEW code that is licensed in a THIS way. the two
have nothing to do with each other.

further, if we use the "LGPL", then they can continue
as usual. the only difference is that they need to
supply us the lwip source tree they are using

i put LGPL in quotes because the LGPL has some other
minor requirements. i'm working on a proper license
for embedded systems...

-paul

Paul Sheer Consulting IT Services . . Tel . . . +27 (0)21 6869634
Email . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . address@hidden
Linux development, cryptography, recruitment,  support,  training
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer . . . . . . http://rute.2038bug.com
L I N U X . . . . . . . . . . . .  The Choice of a GNU Generation