lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Has anyone looked at porting lwIP to Redhat's E

From: Adam Dunkels
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Has anyone looked at porting lwIP to Redhat's ECOS?
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:11:26 -0000

On Tuesday 09 October 2001 13:30, Phil Dempster wrote:
> > Any particular reason you didn't send this to the
> > list? The reason I'm asking
> > is that I messed up when replying to your mail and
> > instead of sending it to
> > the list, it only went away to you :-/
>
> I just hit reply ;-)

Ok :-) That should have been fixed by now...

> > Great! I'd really hope that you would like to megre
> > your code into the lwIP
> > distribution! In any case, it would be good to hear
> > your experiences from
> > porting it to another platform.
>
> Don't expect anything overnight here - using the
> standard RFC terminology - I MAY get around to doing
> this port; if I do then of course I SHALL provide
> changes/feedback to lwIP ;-)

Thats really nice to hear! (The SHALL part, that is.)

> Thats interesting to know. The ARM 7T Evaluator has
> only 512K Flash/512K RAM by default, so I'd need to be
> quite frugal.

512k is quite a lot for running lwIP with a small web server. The one running
at http://lwip-demo.sics.se/ has 100k flask and 10k RAM and works like a
charm!

> > > criteria at this juncture.  I ought really to have
> > > been aware of his code I have his book, "PPP
> >
> > Design,
> >
> > > Implementation and Debugging".
> >
> > Is his book good? I found references to it some
> > weeks ago when I was scanning
> > the web for small PPP implementations (that's when I
> > found his code).
>
> Yes, its probably the best reference on PPP around. Or
> at least, thats what I was told when I was on a
> training course given by a commercial PPP vendor.  One
> particularly nice feature is that it comes with a PDF
> version on a CD too, which is very handy if you want
> to search for keywords.

I'll se if I can get hold of the book, and perhaps a simple PPP might be
found in future versions of lwIP.

> Speaking of books in PDF format, you might be
> interested in "Linux Device Drivers", which is
> available as a GPL'd online book at
> http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/index.html.

Thanks!

/adam