lwip-users

[lwip-users] [lwip] offloading lwip stack !

From: Ganesh
Subject: [lwip-users] [lwip] offloading lwip stack !
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 22:05:43 -0000

I was hoping that someone in the list will help me with this. Having used lwip
in unix simulation, i quite understand (but perhaps not as many others in the
list would) the way it uses the tap/tun device drivers to communicate with the
host native tcp/ip stack . Iam trying to extend this test bench a bit further -
make lwip as an *offloaded* stack on a linux or freebsd system. I want to
modify the socket layer in linux or freebsd to bypass their native stack and
exchange data directly with the tap/tun device, so that lwip appears as an tcp
offloaded stack. The changes in the socket layer should not affect existing
applications on the linux or freebsd.

Can someone tell me if this is possible ? If so, I would like to know, how
coupled is the socket layer in the freebsd/linux system with its native tcpip
stack and which os would be better to use.

Thanks !
Ganesh