lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #63435] Timer allocation fails are silent

From: Engin Aydogan
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #63435] Timer allocation fails are silent
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 08:07:29 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release: None
            lwIP version: 2.1.3

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Mon 28 Nov 2022 01:07:26 PM UTC By: Engin Aydogan <engin>
Hello, why is this error silent? When this allocation fails, TCP stack does
not do retransmissions and I think it's a serious problem.

tcp.c:1180 tcp_connect
 - TCP_REG_ACTIVE (MACRO)
 - TCP_REG (MACRO)
timeouts.c:166
 - tcp_timer_needed()
 - sys_timeout()
 - sys_timeout_abs()

timeouts.c:189 Silently fail when timer allocation fails.

Number of timers are defined in
opt.h:501

/**
 * The number of sys timeouts used by the core stack (not apps)
 * The default number of timeouts is calculated here for all enabled modules.
 */
#define LWIP_NUM_SYS_TIMEOUT_INTERNAL   (LWIP_TCP + IP_REASSEMBLY + LWIP_ARP +
(2*LWIP_DHCP) + LWIP_ACD + LWIP_IGMP + LWIP_DNS + PPP_NUM_TIMEOUTS +
(LWIP_IPV6 * (1 + LWIP_IPV6_REASS + LWIP_IPV6_MLD + LWIP_IPV6_DHCP6)))

I think it become insufficient when we enabled SNTP (and it also allocates a
timer).

What the correct approach here?

Cheers.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?63435>