lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #58142] mDNS: RFC violation after recent changes - aff

From: David GIRAULT
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #58142] mDNS: RFC violation after recent changes - affecting probing
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 04:19:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jasper,

I read all your arguments and they are all valid.

> I think Apple is following there own standard here and this deviates from
the by RFC6762 defined standard.
> The legacy implementation isn't always correct, and we shouldn't copy it's
mistakes.
> I think the question boils down to: does lwIP follow the RFC or does it
follow Apple.
> Since we refer to the RFC a lot and we call it mDNS and not Apple Bonjour, I
suggest we follow the RFC and revert this commit.

Now, I agree with you that the RFC should be followed and we should not copy
their mistake.

But, not doing the way Apple does in their "Bonjour Conformance Test" will
prevent all devices using lwIP to pass the tests.

It may be useful to contact Apple directly through their Bonjour-dev mailing
list (link in Bonjour page here:
https://developer.apple.com/softwarelicensing/bonjour/) so
they can either fix the BCT code or the RFC.

Best regards,
David

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?58142>

  Message posté via Savannah