lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #51908] PPPOS uses PBUF_POOL in transmit pathway

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #51908] PPPOS uses PBUF_POOL in transmit pathway
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 09:34:20 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, I know. And yes, the author has made up a new mechanism to allocate a
buffer to encode PPP data. There is absolutely no need for this buffer to be a
pbuf. However, using a PBUF_POOL here is better (I think) than using PBUF_RAM
because of the smaller allocation overhead.

Also, remember that PBUF_POOL is reserver for RX only to not starve TCP if it
cannot receive ACKs any more. This cannot be the case here, as the buffer is
allocated and directly freed.

If we *really* wanted to clean this up, we would have to use some kind of
static/global PPP encoding buffer, but I don't know if this is worth it...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?51908>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/