lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #14128] Appropriate byte counting/stretch ACK support

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #14128] Appropriate byte counting/stretch ACK support
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 13:25:57 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the heads up Ambroz.  RFC 5681 references RFC 3465 in "section 3.1.
 Slow Start and Congestion Avoidance".  I believe LwIP implements correctly
most of slow start/congestion avoidance/fast recovery, but I haven't done a
full audit.  I've just noticed the issue with cwnd being susceptible to ACK
division and performing sub-optimal when stretch ACKs are used (common case is
delayed ACKs)

RFC 5681 appears to only recommend updating cwnd according to cwnd += min (N,
SMSS), though it acknowledges that RFC 3465 allows increasing by more.  This
covers the ACK division security issue, but not compensating from delayed
ACKs.

I don't see any particular issue with compensating for a 2 * MSS stretch ACK,
but welcome other thoughts on the matter

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?14128>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/