lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #14314] Implement interface name/index APIs

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #14314] Implement interface name/index APIs
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 10:13:51 -0500 (EST)

There are two additional APIs from RFC 3493: if_nameindex() and
if_freenameindex().  These two APIs are for getting a list of all the
name/index pairs and then freeing that list.

I've got an old prototype for these, but am having some trouble fitting it
into the proper abstraction where standard types stay in if_api.c, with the
logic for list allocation/creation happening in netif.  The list is an arrary
of type:

struct if_nameindex {
     unsigned int   if_index;  /* 1, 2, ... */
     char          *if_name;   /* null terminated name: "le0", ... */
   };

If I have a "netif" version of this structure, if_index should be a u8_t since
that's what the netif index APIs return, meaning that the structures won't be
binary compatible.  So I'm trying to think of an API that makes sense at the
netif layer and can be easily re-used at the if_api layer

All-in-all, this could be delayed if we have no determined use case.  It's a
nice-to-have API that enumerates your interfaces rather than applications
having to rely on knowing what the interface name is

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?14314>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/