lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9164] Add option to set and use peer DNS server

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9164] Add option to set and use peer DNS server
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 20:38:04 -0000

Follow-up Comment #8, patch #9164 (project lwip):

Hi,

> I understand completely. For me a better way could be to have settings
> defined as a const pointer (save ram too) in case someone configure
> ppp parameters and do not want to change them later on.

I agree with you but lwIP users should not have to access struct members
directly, it means generating a const configuration struct must be done by
only using macros. I'm not saying it's not possible but this is going to be a
pain.

About RAM usage, ppp_settings is 48 byte long with all features enabled with
64-bit alignment. ppp struct itself is more than 1000 byte long with minimal
feature set (> 7000 byte long with all features enabled). I'm not sure it's
worth it :)

> Most of the time there is only single ppp connection in an
> embedded device and settings can be assigned when pcb is
> allocated. This is where only compile time options are needed
> no runtime options.

I see the point, but this is not always true, for example you could have two
identical systems communicating over PPPoS with a DIP switch to select which
one is PPP server and which one is PPP client.

Sylvain

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9164>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/