lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9169] Allows multicast packets through udp input la

From: Dirk Ziegelmeier
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9169] Allows multicast packets through udp input layer
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 19:37:36 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #4, patch #9169 (project lwip):

[...]
Why not have it configured to be able to handle both cases?

Because you can easily achieve this by filtering the destination address as
first thing in your reception routine.

Moving this capability to lwIP is possible and will make *your* application
smaller and easier.

But:
- it will make *all other* applications slightly slower due to additional
checks
- will make the udp code more complicated / more difficult to maintain for a
corner-case
- will add an unknown/non-standard semantics to udp_connect() noone knows
about and noone expects to work like this
- we are in a lightweight stack - we do not want so solve every possible
application case in the stack

Last, especially patch #9169 introduces strange behavior by comparing
pcb->remote_ip with a DESTINATION ip instead of source ip

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9169>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/