lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] [lwip-commits] [SCM] lwIP - A Lightweight TCPIP stack b

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] [lwip-commits] [SCM] lwIP - A Lightweight TCPIP stack branch, master, updated. 236bc194222b604f251cd86d4715cd05d9e40f94
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 13:58:57 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:50:14AM +0200, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> Sylvain Rochet wrote:
> >> fixed bug #48170 (patch by Fabian Koch)
> >
> > Woah, what a meaningful commit message. Especially given the bug report
> > is verbose about the issue, you didn't have to write something new.
>
> This is a private bug entry. Pasting its contents to git would make it public.
> I guess we're not yet decided on how to handle things like that.

This is already public:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lwip-users/2014-04/msg00064.html
https://github.com/tabascoeye/lwip/issues/14
https://github.com/tabascoeye/lwip/commit/5a5452c2952a4aa72a02ffd2581ef82c9b702062
https://github.com/tabascoeye/lwip/commit/a59a9c102c924cca420dfbd5063fbcfb8e560bac

Private security bug entries are only useful if there is a running
embargo about them. An empty commit message about a security flaw is
only security through obscurity, which is discouraged and not
recommended.

> > In addition, you stole Fabian's authorship, even if you ned to rebase
> > the patch against master that's still not a good reason to steal
> > authorship.
>
> Oh please, I didn't have his email address lying around and having it
> now, I'm not even sure it would be OK to include it in the git log
> (it's a company's address, after all).

If you are not sure, you should ask :-)

> Given the fact that we moved to git not too long ago and CVS didn't
> give the option, I don't really know where the problem is.

Well, that's one of the reason why no one is using CVS anymore (and why
Subversion follows this destiny). I would never have started
contributing to lwIP if it was still using CVS (or Subversion).

Git won the SCM war because it does things right.

> > More and more projects are now using Signed-off-by: tags in their commit
> > message, in order to give credits to those who rebase and are doing
> > small various changes but didn't write the initial diffset.
>
> Honestly, I don't want credit for rebasing anything and I don't want
> to think about this at all. Patches coming in correctly to be applied
> including auther will be applied as-is, but I'm not willing to dig
> through mailing lists or whatever to find original authors.
> Unfortunately, savannah doesn't make it easy to find email addresses
> and I don't have my private mail client at hand all the time.

Basically, you are just saying here that you are lazy and that your
workflow is not free from defect, thank you for your honesty on this
subject. I will keep that in mind and stop annoying you about this
subject.

Sylvain