lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Question about some bigger changes in LwIP

From: Jan Breuer
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Question about some bigger changes in LwIP
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 09:15:26 +0200

Jan Breuer wrote:
> 1) IPv6 address/prefix auto/configuration and routing is not implemented according to RFC. [..]

I don't think it's done wrong deliberately. I guess there just haven't been enough people with IPv6 knowledge studying the IPv6 source, yet :-)

 Ok, so I can propose some fixes for this after releasing v2.

> 2) Nameserver configuration is simple and don't allow to implement more features in the future.

That's correct, too. Currently we only have DHCP and manual config (which aren't active at the same time). When implementing more sources, dns.c will need to be adopted, too. However, currently we don't have more sources, so up to now, I think we're ok.

You're right that 2.0 shouldn't include "fixes" to these issues, but 1) should be fixed in the near future. 2) needs fixing when someone bothers to program DHCPv6. You're welcome to add patches to savannah for these issues :-)

We don't need to implement DHCPv6 to need this. We can fully implement RDNSS option in router advertisement in current source. I have send simple patch for RDNSS option in RA but I will continue to also extend dns.c to implement all needed features.

> 3) There is unfortunate prototype of dns_getserver returning value instead of constant pointer.

I think Dirk just fixed that.

I missed this! Thank you.

Jan