lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] DHCP reboot after link up event

From: ella
Subject: [lwip-devel] DHCP reboot after link up event
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 12:20:40 -0700 (MST)

Hi,
We have a working device with lwip 1.4.1. It has some minor issues but still
not critical so we can use it as production version.

To be up to date we decided to build and QA also a version based on lwip
latest from git. Latest lwip shows a good performance and stability but
currently we've faced some critical issue.

After link down - link up even caused by cable re-plug on some specific
routers our device does not get correct Gateway and Netmask settings from
DHCP server incorporated in that router. We narrowed down the problem to
*dhcp_reboot* implementation. It turns out that this function does not
implicitly request from DHCP server the Gateway and Netmask options. This
cause to the fact that some DHCP servers does not provide it and thus lwip
core uses a default values, which are wrong.
I'm not a DHCP expert and not sure if it is mandatory to DHCP server to
return Gateway and Netmask on DHCP REBOOT without implicit options request
but the reality shows that this not happen sometimes.
We've made a fix by adding these options request (just copied a code from
other function) and it did helped.

So the question is if you can review the dhcp_reboot implementation and add
options request to get correct Gateway and Netmask.
Thanks.