lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Constraining pbuf pools location by the linker

From: Bastien Allibert
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Constraining pbuf pools location by the linker
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:19:56 +0100

No, i didn't know, but that's interesting... ;-) and i generally agree with this opinion.

By the way, as i said, performance was not the only reason, but also memory saving as i explained in original email : if not using zero-copy, I have to use full-size pbuf pool (MTU i mean) in addition to full-size Ethernet buffers. And that can be a huge amount of RAM for suche memory-constrained devices (that was finally the main reason originally as i used STM32F107, with 'only' 64KB ram).

Bastien

Bastien Allibert wrote:

> Now, about performance... I honestly don't know. I want to benchmark
> all of this, but do not have time to do that right now.

You do know what Knuth said about premature optimization, right?  ;-)

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization

--
Regards.