lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] DHCP Client Progress

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] DHCP Client Progress
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 07:13:21 +0100 (CET)

"Grant Erickson" wrote:
> Presently, beyond busy waiting, there is no way for an application to know
> when DHCP has completed, failed, moved through it's various phases, changed
> IP addresses, etc.

You can use the netif status callback to know when the netif is set up/down or
its IP address is changed, but you cannot see DHCP client state changes, that's
correct.

> Have there been any thoughts about this previously?

No, I can't remember anyone ever requesting this.

> If not, in terms of adding and extending this functionality, would the
> preference be for registrable callbacks for the netif?

Actually, I don't think this would be used very often. As such, *if* we were to
integrate this, I'd do it as function-like defines (e.g.
DHCP_STATE_CHANGED(netif, state) or something like that) which are intially
defined to nothing but can be overridden.

Adding extra function prototypes for the callback and register/unregister
functions for these callbacks would be too confusion, I think.

Simon