lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Port to djgpp/Watcom

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Port to djgpp/Watcom
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:43:23 +0000

On 12 Jan 2012, at 17:09, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> I've ported LwIP to djgpp (gcc 4.4.1) and OpenWatcom 1.9 on MSDOS. The main
> hurdle was porting the packet-driver interface and sys_arch.c. Most things
> work fine except timers are not very precise. On OpenWatcom sys_now() is
> based on _dos_gettime() which gives only 55 msec resolution.

That resolution should be fine for lwIP.  TCP is quite tolerant of
not-very-accurate timeouts.

> As you see the time-outs happen approx. 200 msec too late.
> What can be the reason for this? The timer granularity is 55
> ms. Would it hurt the tcp speed?

That is quite a big difference, and can't be explained by the granularity of
your timer.  I would experiment with different TIMEOUT values and see if the
error is proportional to the length of the timeout, or just a constant.

> If there is any interest for my DOS-port, where can I send it?
> I have no write access to git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lwip/lwip.git.

If you're (or someone else is) willing to maintain it so that it keeps up to
date with the current lwIP then we can add it to the lwIP contrib git
repository along with the other ports and give you commit access.  If you don't
have the time to maintain it then...

> A simple .zip on my home-page?

...that would be best, and a link from the relevant page on the lwIP wiki so
others can easily find it.

Thanks

Kieran