lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:21:54 +0100

On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 11:57 +0100, Wojciech A. Koszek wrote:
> Dnia 28-07-2011 o 15:40:08 Kieran Mansley <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):
> > That is something I am actively against for lwIP.  lwIP isn't designed
> > or intended to be used "out of the box".  It has to first be ported to
> > your device or OS, so which port of lwIP would the top level make build?
>
> Kieran,
>
> That's pretty easy:
>
> % make
> usage:
>       make win32      -- build lwIP test application for Windows (VC++)
>       make cygwin     -- build lwIP test application for Windows (Cygwin)
>       make unix       -- build lwIP test application for UNIX

It is of course easy to create a makefile that would describe all the
different ways that lwIP could be built, and have a default for the
current system, but I don't think it is desirable, and that is I think
where we disagree.
 - It gives the impression that all of those ports and test applications
are part of lwIP, which they are not.
 - It gives the impression that those ports and test applications are
supported (as much as anything in lwIP is) which they're not.
 - It gives the impression that lwIP is targeted at Unix and Windows
systems, which it really isn't: although those are the example ports
that is just because those are easy examples to produce, not because
they are likely to be widely used (other than when they are used as an
example to develop a proper port of lwIP).  I would rather have more
example ports for systems that are actually likely to be used, but
people are generally unwilling to maintain a port once it has been
written, and that is the requirement I have for adding code to the
contrib.

lwIP isn't something you can just download, build and use, so giving
people the impression that you can do that isn't helpful.  By including
makefiles with the lwIP core we would tend towards giving that
impression.

lwIP *ports* can be built and used out of the box, which is why the
ports have their own makefiles, and you can just type make and get
going.  But lwIP is separate from lwIP ports.  I appreciate that when
you first download lwIP this distinction isn't always clear, and how to
find the example ports etc isn't clear, but that can be addressed with
better documentation.  Perhaps I'll try and write a "Getting started
with lwIP" page for the wiki.

Kieran