lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:45:24 +0100

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 10:00 -0400, Bill Auerbach wrote:
> Thanks Kieran. Will 1.4 be available "forever" or will CVS be taken down
> when 1.5 (git based) is released?

1.4 would exist whatever we did with the version control system.  It
exists in CVS, and it also exists in the git repository.  I've imported
(I think) all the history and tags and branches from the CVS repository
into the new git repositories, so everything you could access from CVS
should also be accessible from git.

> CVS will remain useful for finished applications that are built on 1.4 and
> won't get the time to be updated.

You can still get 1.4 from git, just clone the repository and the do a
git update to the 1.4 tag.  If you really have to use the CVS tool for
some reason I believe there are also tools/servers for git that allow
you to effectively use CVS as a wrapper for it, but if I were you I'd
avoid such things.

> Does this mean serious bugs in 1.4 will not be turned out in a 1.4.1?
> Haven't significant bugs reported recently that effect 4.1?

I'm fully expecting a 1.4.1 release, but of course this won't be
accessible via CVS as any code changes will only go into the git
repository.

Kieran