lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] core/timers.c with NO_SYS?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] core/timers.c with NO_SYS?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:06:15 +0200

Leon Woestenberg wrote:
This is 95% taking mutex locks on data structures or even pieces of
code, without even the idea what data is actually protected against
concurrent access.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean with this sentence. I'd be happy to explain the usage of the locks, if that's what's unclear.
However, this makes the pretention that that part of the stack is
multithreading safe, which I'm almost sure it is not (but I cannot
prove it).
Well, it certainly is designed to be. And if it's not safe, that would be a bug. In that case, I'd be happy to get it fixed.

Back in the 1.2.0 days, using the skeleton ethernetif.c in multithreaded environments had some multithreading issues (ARP and memp were not protected against concurrent use: the arp input functions and pbuf_alloc() were called from ethernetif_input()) and this is how it was solved.

Simon