lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] IPv6 design considerations

From: Stephane Lesage
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] IPv6 design considerations
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:57:44 +0100

> > I have added an array of ip6_addr_t and some pointers to dhcp6 and
> autoip6
> > structs. This seems pretty straight forward.
>
> Why add an array of ipv6 addresses? I would have thought on link-local
> address and one routable address should be enough for an embedded
> device?
>
> Did you implement dhcp6 already? I don't think you can just reuse
> dhcpv4 (which should be moved to the ipv4 subdirectory, btw), can you?
>
> Oh, and isn't autoip a v4-only protocol? I thought v6 has link-local
> addresses assigned automatically?

Hi,

You're right, IPv6 link-local addresses are more or less equivalent to AutoIP.
But it's using the MAC address for the lower 64 bits.
In addition, you can "anonymize" the addresses like AutoIP

IPv6 was designed for autoconfiguration with Router Advertisement (RA) packets.
The router sends the 64 bits prefix on the LAN, then the nodes autoconfigure
their address using the methods above.

DHCPv6 has been added for specific needs and should not be used in most cases.
But it's nice to have, and should not be difficult to implement.

However we need the equivalent on PPP.

--
Stephane Lesage