lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] UDP - transmission inefficiences

From: Simon Kallweit
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] UDP - transmission inefficiences
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 17:06:49 +0200

Bill Auerbach wrote:
In trying to isolate which components are responsible for the significant
lack of TCP transmission speeds, I decided it's easier to do UDP burst
tests.  This would allow me to quantify the Ethernet driver, processor and
memory speeds of my system.  Since disappointing transmission speeds have
come up numerous times from others, I think my questions and experience will
definitely help others.

Well, it also occurred to me that TCP transmission speed is quite limited in my eCos port. It's about a third of the UDP transmission speed in my measurements. Is this in the same league as your measurements? I know this depends a lot on the actual configuration, but just to get a little bit of sense for it.

My current application only uses GPRS, so transmission speed is not a big issue for me now, but I think for other applications it could be rather troublesome.

Simon