lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Re: [task #7040] Work on tcp_enqueue

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Re: [task #7040] Work on tcp_enqueue
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 19:41:55 +0100

Alain M. wrote:
My suggestion would be to create a compile time option:
a) keep messages n separate pbufs
b) allways concatenate if possible.

There is a real trick behind that: if you have a 32 bit arch like ARM, it can be a lot faster if there exists a function concat_data or concat_pbufs that by default is memcpy, but is optimyzable. I have a book that shows up to 5x speed increment for such functions (without even using asm)...

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but with concatenate, do you mean keep all data for one segment in a single pbuf? I think a compile time option for that is not too bad, since b) has the potential to waste memory when sending only small packets (unless you set the MSS real low, of course).

Simon