lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] SYN flood attack - lwip crash

From: fabian . koch
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] SYN flood attack - lwip crash
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:46:32 +0100

Hey there,

address@hidden wrote on 30.01.2009 10:39:49:
> After the scan, i couldn't connect to board using a tcp client.
> I debugging the code: lwip_stats doesn't show nothing strange,
> driver works, all pbufs seems free.

We had the exact same problem. And it turned out that there wasn't anything wrong with LwIP.
In our case the Problem was with the Ethernet Controller itself. It basically stopped all services after its internal receive ringbuffers were completely saturated. The status was written to a fault register and could be read by our driver.
Then all that was neccessary was a reset of the PHY/FEC to make it work again (and reporting the error to higher levels).

With this change, our Setup survives a Packetstorm of several million packets at 10000kbps without any crash.

regards,
Fabian