lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] get_version()?

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] get_version()?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:26:38 +0000

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 14:08 +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> we are using LwIP without any modifications as an "external blob" of
> code, so we can update to a newer version without a lot of hassle.
> Now it would be great to have something in that unmodified blob that
> we can ask for its version.
>
> Something like a
>
> #define Version "1.3.0"
>
> char* get_version(){
>         return Version;
> }
>
> is that useless overhead for you guys or would you implement something
> like that into future versions?

I think it would be even more useful if we had this defined for each API
that we provide, as that is what you're really (probably) most
interested in.  We could add for example:

void raw_version(int *major, int *minor, int *revision);

and

void netconn_version(int *major, int *minor, int *revision);

The major, minor and revision fields would be filled in on return.

If you really do just want a single version for the whole blob, that
would be possible, but I'd be curious to know more about why.

Kieran