lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] 1.3.0

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] 1.3.0
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:35:06 +1300

Simon Goldschmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
when did you plan to move on to 1.3.0? There are a couple of bugs open that are planned for 1.3.0, most of them are issues in the TCP part.

As I don't see me having plenty of time to fix TCP bugs for the next months (since I have a 'real job', hehe - unfortunately, I'd love to work on those), I'd love to see 1.3.0 without the TCP fixes just to get a new release out with the numerous fixes 1.3.0 would include compared to 1.2.0!

If the TCP bugs are long standing, not easy to fix/test quickly, and fixing them will not involve changing any of the APIs, then I agree: release 1.3.0 and defer fixing those bugs until (say) 1.3.1.

The primary goal should be to get everything done in one hit which will require everyone to port LWIP back into their own implementations. API and major structure changes are more difficult to deal with than LWIP internal bug fixes.

If the TCP bugs will require API changes, then they should be fixed first, or at least the required API changes should be done without fixing the bugs (and without introducing new ones!), so 1.3.0 can be released.

Jared Grubb <address@hidden> wote:
We could issue a "1.2.5" release based on the current head... Just an
idea if there are still things we really want to finish for a 1.3.0
release.

The degree of changes in the API suggest to me that this should be called 1.3.0 even if all the planned changes don't made it in. 1.2.5 implies that a portion of the changes intended for 1.3.0 have been applied to the 1.2.0 code base and the differences have been kept to as few as possible. This is not the case, in my opinion. It would be better to call this one 1.3.0 and then do a 1.4.0 if there are further API changes.